[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: splitting off nvidia utilities into a separate package

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 03:01:27 UTC 2012

On 10/23/12, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> This might make it easier to update the legacynvidia driver since it
> looks like Nvidia is not always updating the versionof the tools when
> they update the driver.  Also, for those that want to run lean systems,
> and manually create a fullxorg.conf, and/or don't need the access to the
> extra functionality provided, installation of these utilities can be
> "optionalbut recommended." Thus, what could be the cons that I may not
> be considering, besides the bit of extra work?

The only "con" I can think of would be the possibility that someone
might end up with versions of the utilities that won't work with their
version of the driver (e.g. they install it all, then next year update
the driver and forget to update the utils). Not a huge deal, so long as
at any given time, the utils on the SBo site will work with the driver
currently on the site (no idea how often this stuff changes, I've been
using nouveau for a couple years now).