[Slackbuilds-users] System-wide addons for Seamonkey and Firefox?

Eric Hameleers alien at slackbuilds.org
Fri Sep 7 23:32:42 UTC 2012

On 09/07/2012 10:48 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a happy user of SBo, using nearly 200 packages built courtesy of
> the SlackBuild scripts here (numerous pats on many shoulders). There's
> only about two dozen packages where I had to either alter the scripts
> to fit my needs or write some from scratch.
>
> Now there's one set of addons left where I'm banging my head against
> the wall^^^^^keyboard, that's the extensions for Seamonkey and/or
> Firefox.
>
> I live in France, so the vast majority of the systems I install here
> are in French. Though there is a small german-speaking community in a
> village nearby, and I also provide some installs for these folks (I'm
> Austrian, so german is my native language).
>
> Slackware being not exactly an i18n-friendly distribution, I'm more or
> less searching in vain for translation packages. I'm mainly a
> Seamonkey user for web & mail, so of course, once it's installed, I
> can open the addons page and grab the corresponding .xpi packages for
> translations and Adblock Plus (a must-have addon). But when installing
> a network with more than fifty users, this solution is not viable.
>
> As a temporary workaround, I've created a template user, installed all
> the needed addons, modified the configuration and then packaged all of
> ~/.mozilla to be installed into /etc/skel. But this is the Quick &
> Dirty solution. My packaging skills stop here.
>
> If anyone of you guys knows how to build real clean packages for
> system-wide browser addons, I would really be grateful.
>
> Cheers from my little South French village,
>
> Niki

I uploaded a language pack SlackBuild for firefox. You can use it to
build a package for any supported language:
http://slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/mozilla-firefox-l10n/build/

I run "LANG=nl VERSION=15.0 ./mozilla-firefox-l10n.SlackBuild"  to build
a firefox language pack. The build directory contains a README.1st which
explains how to enable the new language after installing the language pack.

Should not be hard to change this into a seamonkey script.

Eric