[Slackbuilds-users] Changing some odd permissions in a tarball.

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 19:09:42 UTC 2012

On 9/8/12, Dave Margell <dmargell at gmail.com> wrote:
> # change directory permissions (700 to 755) of bin, doc, udiskie
> # as well as the parent directory to allow a user to browse the source
>
> Where I've added an extra "dot" to the "find" command and also added "
> -o -perm 700 "

Is this in a subdirectory of the tarball's dir? For most builds, .. would
refer to /tmp/SBo, which you probably didn't mean...

Sometimes if upstream's tarball has weird permissions, it's best to
ditch the template code and just do something like...

chown -R root:root .
find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; -o -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

In general, the template code is there to help you... if it doesn't help,
you're not required to keep it exactly as-is. But if you change it,
especially in a non-obvious way (your find command looks very similar to
the template, someone in a hurry might not notice the changes or might
think it's a typo and "correct" it), it's polite to leave a comment for
the admins so they will know you did it that way for a reason.

I don't speak for the SBo team, I'm just a user. The above is my opinion
based on spending a few years submitting a bunch of builds.