[Slackbuilds-users] haskell-platform (was: Checklist.txt lives?)

xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org
Wed Sep 19 00:52:00 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 18 September 2012 01:13:39 Christoph Willing wrote:

> On 18/09/2012, at 1:46 PM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:56:26 +1000
> > Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> >> I've just built a new -current machine (x86_64) on which I:
> >> 1. built ghc package and installed it (hscolour package REQUIRES it)
> >> 2. built hscolour package and installed it (haskell-platform package
> >> REQUIRES it) 3. built haskell-platform package - no errors.
> >>
> >> I wonder if the machine which fails as reported above already
> >> contains some other haskell related packages? The haskell-platform
> >> package is a collection of haskell apps & libraries to provide a
> >> small haskell ecosystem. The presence of other haskell-related
> >> packages might be the cause of that build failure. As mentioned in
> >> the README:
> >>
> >> "This is intended to be installed on a system that does not already
> >> have any haskell-related components (other than ghc & hscolour, of
> >> course) installed, so for best results (and chance of success), you
> >> should remove any of those before you try to build haskell-platform."
> >

> > Well, if you're sure it works, I'll take your word for it :-)
>
> Great, thanks.
>
> At the same time, it would be nice to confirm why David's build failed. I guess you're all really busy at the moment but if there's any chance of establishing whether that machine already has some other haskell package(s) installed …
>

> chris

haskell-platform does build with only the required packages installed.
It was one of the first haskell builds tested, the error log is indeed
from a build attempt with other haskell packages installed. The part of
the reason it was still on the Checklist was it installs everything in
/usr/lib/* even on x86_64. All the other haskell builds install in
/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/ghc-*/ including hscolour. The error log was a bit
misleading as it was not the reason it was still on the Checklist.

--dsomero