[Slackbuilds-users] Branch naming

Mikko Värri vmj at linuxbox.fi
Fri Sep 28 15:13:01 UTC 2012

Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

>A public branch that's rebased is not (in my opinion) a problem at
>all UNLESS that branch is intended to be a base on which others
>start development.  In other words, to make a topic branch (e.g.
>14.0-bugfixes) that gets rebased to git master, has commits added,
>commits dropped, commits reordered, and so on during its life, is
>completely okay, as the branch is going to be deleted once it's
>pulled/merged anyway.  On the other hand, if we were to rebase our
>master branch (or any of the versioned branches), that would be
>bad.  It would be rewriting public history that *is* intended as
>a development base for others.

OK, good to know.

I was worried that I'm causing trouble if you make my repo a remote in yours, then fetch it, cherry pick a branch, and a month later try to fetch again, while I have deleted and recreated branches with identical names in the meantime.  But I guess git doesn't get confused so easily :)

I will keep on doing what I've been doing, then.  For normal updates I'll use the PRGNAM as branch name, and for special cases I'll use special names.

-vmj