[Slackbuilds-users] qemu and qemu-kvm descriptions could really do with a bit of clarification

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 19:29:14 UTC 2013

On 15/04/13 20:04, B Watson wrote:
> On 4/15/13, Larry Hajali <larryhaja at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If there isn't any output then your processor doesn't support KVM and you
>> will need kqemu for better performance.
>
> You will also need an ancient version of qemu, specifically the one
> built by http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/system/qemu-legacy/
>
> If there's still mention of kqemu in the qemu README, that's a bug in
> the README (kqemu support was removed after qemu 0.11.1).
>
> Plus I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to build kqemu on modern
> (3.x) linux kernels. At least, there's no kqemu SlackBuild for Slack 14.0,
> and the one for 13.37 fails to build on Slack 14... if that's the case,
> the qemu-legacy package on 14.0 is also pointless I think.

Thanks B Watson, Thorsten and Larry. Those were pretty much my
conclusions after fumbling around. What I was trying to hint was if it
is possible to remove redundant packages, and update the description of
the current ones on SBo for anybody who might follow the same route as
me and be confused as to the applicability of those packages and
descriptions.

Also - I can't seem to find a a definite answer anywhere - is it still
possible to run the current qemu on a processor without the
virtualization extensions at all? Will it just not use kvm - but still
be able to run the same virtual machine (just slower)?

Thanks,

Sebastian