[Slackbuilds-users] apcupsd (3.14.10) Slackware 14.1 64-bit Won't Start

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Dec 7 01:26:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:35:38 -0500
Thomas Ronayne <ronayne.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Robby,
>
> I attached the configuration file (which, by the look of things,
> should be right... but then, obvious that it's not, eh?).
>
> The connection is USB, fer sure.

Okay, weird.

I agree that the config file looks correct, and is (in the places
that matter) identical to mine on Slackware 14.1 x86_64.

For whatever reason, apcupsd is trying to use /dev/ttyS0 for the
device node *and* it thinks it's a usb device.  I suspect some
bad logic in apcupsd somewhere, but I won't swear to it.

In the meantime, when you plug in the UPS, what do you see in dmesg?

Here's what I have:

usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 7 using uhci_hcd
usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=051d, idProduct=0002
usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-2: Product: Back-UPS RS 1000G FW:868.L3 .D USB FW:L3
usb 2-2: Manufacturer: American Power Conversion
usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 3B1225X20592
hid-generic 0003:051D:0002.0005: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [American Power Conversion Back-UPS RS 1000G FW:868.L3 .D USB FW:L3 ] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input0

Assuming you only have one UPS, and you see something similar to me,
you can possibly specify /dev/hidraw0 as the DEVICE parameter in
apcupsd.conf to make it work.  Before I was aware of the autodetection
capability (or perhaps it didn't exist yet?), I recall having put
/dev/hiddev0 in my config file (no idea why hiddev0 doesn't exist now
though).

All that said, this is perhaps worth mailing the apcupsd list
<http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/apcupsd-users>
and see if anyone has any ideas.  Go ahead and attach dmesg output
from when it's plugged in and your config file.
CC me too if you don't mind.

-RW