[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: drop or merge qemu-kvm

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 06:08:54 UTC 2013

On 02/25/2013 07:37 PM, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:18:45 -0600
> Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:37:14 -0800
>> King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since qemu-kvm devs have pushed the kvm bits upstream to qemu as of
>>> 1.3, should we dropqemu-kvm? It does not appear that qemu-kvm will
>>> be updated past 1.2 and qemu is now at 1.4.  That might make
>>> installing both on the same system a bit tricky.
>>
>> Yes, it should be dropped - plan for that to occur unless there's
>> serious objection.
>>
>> In my experience with qemu (and I use it fairly often), I think the
>> only thing we need to ensure that it still works with some other
>> related stuff (e.g. aqemu) is a /usr/bin/qemu-kvm symlink pointing
>> to /usr/bin/qemu-system-$ARCH (generally x86_64)
>
> I'll do better even; here is (attached) the qemu build script I
> have been using.
>
> -RW

Good point. I'll go over yours with mine and add appropriate updates to
my TO-DO list.  We'll have to search for any slackbuilds that depend on
qemu-kvm to make sure they get updated.  Aqemu hasn't had an update
since 2011 (not necessarily a bad thing) so I wonder if its still in
development? Might be worth my trying to contact the dev.

I too use aqemu/qemu quite a bit, not just for playing with other OS but
also for clean build environments.

.Ed