[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuild Directories

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Wed Feb 27 16:47:40 UTC 2013

Apologies for the top-post.

FYI, David, Chris, I used tips from your comments in the thread below at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=4900906#post4900906

I would welcome any additional input or pointers you or anyone else has
there and in part because I'm gathering data for a series of articles
I'm writing on Slackware package management for a prominent Linux news site.

On 02/01/2013 04:39 PM, xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org wrote:
> On Friday 01 February 2013 13:58:31 Bradley D. Thornton wrote:
>>
>> On 01/31/2013 07:03 PM, John C. Gage wrote:
>>> Has there ever been a thought to modify the slackbuild script to configure,
>>> make and create the TXZ file in the same directory in which the SlackBuild
>>> script was run? Can the mod also automatically call installpkg and install
>>> the package all in one script?
>>
>> I tend to keep my SBo's in /usr/local/slackbuilds. Then when I untar
>> them, they reside, along with the source which I download, in
>> /usr/local/slackbuilds/<package_name>.
>>
>> I like to keep all of my packages in /usr/local/packages, and create a
>> symlink there so I can get any package via HTTP. It's convenient, much
>> less messy than /tmp, which I like to keep cleaned out, and makes for
>> easy re-distribution, rollbacks, and use of packages later.
>>
>> Change the output line in <package_name>.SlackBuild from /tmp to:
>>
>> OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/usr/local/packages}
>>
>> I also change this to be the default in sbopkg too. Of course, you'll
>> need to:
>>
>> # mkdir -p /usr/local/packages
>>
>> I hope that helps!
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>>

> No reason to edit the Slackbuild at all add something like this to you profile:
>
> export OUTPUT="/usr/local/packages"
> export PKGTYPE="txz"
>
> or
>
> OUTPUT="/usr/local/packages" PKGTYPE="txz" <package_name>.SlackBuild
>
> --dsomero

I hope neither of you mind me quoting you there. I took the liberties
because the SBo list is publicly archived and I endeavored to attribute
accordingly :)

Thanks and kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton