[Slackbuilds-users] Desmume on 64-bit - optimization flag

Kyle Guinn elyk03 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:33:10 UTC 2013

On 1/22/13, Larry Hajali <larryhaja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could just add an if statement that will add it to the SLKCFLAGS if it is
> detected on the computer.
>
> if grep [^s]sse3 /proc/cpuinfo 2>/dev/null; then
>   SLKCFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS -msse3"
> fi
>
> Not sure if this leads to undesirable results.  I don't have an sse3
> capable processor, so I can't test.

Well, one problem is that you have a package that advertises itself as
working on $ARCH (by having $ARCH in the package filename) but it may
not actually work on every CPU with that $ARCH so you can't safely
distribute it.

If you're going to go that route, why not just use -march=native?
Maybe also set $ARCH to "native" for lack of anything better to use,
and then it should be clear that you shouldn't redistribute the
resulting package.  I'm sure there's a way to work that into the 'if [
"$ARCH" = "i486" ] ...' stanza if you can find a way to add -fPIC and
set $LIBDIRSUFFIX appropriately on 64-bit machines.

-Kyle