[Slackbuilds-users] on creating users

Miguel De Anda miguel at thedeanda.com
Tue Jun 18 10:17:43 UTC 2013

what's the best practice for server/daemon apps that we want to run as an
unprivileged user/group? for example, apache often runs as apache.apache
and mysql as mysql.mysql.

i found one build script that has a grep for /etc/passwd and /etc/group and
has some hard-coded uid/gid's in the suggested user/groups. my concern with
this method is that if you archive the tgz file (to install on a remote
machine for example) you have to remember that you ran some commands
against the buidl system. do we want to add a similar check in the
doinst.sh script? maybe a warning?

thanks,
miguel