[Slackbuilds-users] lists.slackbuilds.org hardware problem

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 15:34:23 UTC 2013

I've never had much luck with the WD "green" drives.  The blue and
black consumer level drives seem ok (got 2 blues 500 GB at 5 and 3 yrs
old still error free).  However, since I have a bunch of family
digital pics, home movies that I don't want to risk loosing, I'm
looking at the WD RE4 series enterprise class. A bit pricey but specs
look impressive.

Ed

On 6/21/13, Rob McGee <rob0 at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> Status update: It's still running. Mail seems fine, but HTTP (which
> includes the list archives and the web interface to subscriptions) is
> down. We're showing a ridiculous load average (93 as I type here)
> which seems mostly due to httpd zombies which tried to read from
> suspected bad drives.
>
> The suspects are a pair of "green" drives in RAID. Each are showing
> I/O errors in dmesg. No, we did not buy those with donated money;
> these were hardware donations from one of us.
>
> For the record: avoid "green" drives, especially in servers. I doubt
> they truly save any energy, what with all the energy that the
> inevitably early failures waste.
>
> Ideally the downtime will be brief. We'll know more and let you know
> in a bit.
>

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 06:15:21AM -0500, JB wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:10:56 -0500
>> Rob McGee <rob0 at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Note: this is NOT a solicitation for donations, but it's as good
>> > a time as any to thank you all again for your response to the
>> > 2011 request. Yes, this is that machine that was built with your
>> > donations. Go figure.
>>
>> Drat...an hdd only lasting two years sucks! I wish I could help
>> donate but ...
>
> ... but we are NOT soliciting nor accepting donations at this time.
> Thanks for the thought, but no, not now. :)
>
> Anyone with money burning holes in pockets is welcome to donate to
> Slackware:
>
> http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store/slackdonation?id=2qYiiCh4&mv_pc=202
>
> That's what we did with the excess funds from our 2011 request.
> --
>     Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org

Sent from my mobile device

You! What PLANET is this!
	-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0