[Slackbuilds-users] Ardour 3 is out, cwiid.pc required, more deps

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 18:34:58 UTC 2013

On 3/15/13, openpandora at free.fr <openpandora at free.fr> wrote:
> cwiid needs to be patched to generate a .pc . I made one totally dirty
> myself:

The cwiid developers haven't done a release that includes a .pc file. If
Ardour3 needs cwiid.pc, then it depends on an unstable (SVN) version
of cwiid.

I can update the cwiid package to build the same version as Debian/Ubuntu
uses, which they call "0.6.00+svn201-2+b2". Presumably it works OK with
Ardour or else the Ardour folks wouldn't be using it (AFAIK their primary
development platform is Ubuntu).

Out of curiosity, are you actually going to use a Wiimote to control
Ardour, or are you just trying to build Ardour3 with all the optional
deps enabled?

> New deps:
>
> serd
> sord
> sratom
> lilv

This is going to open a can of worms. serd/sord/lilv are the new LV2
stack, which replaces lv2core and slv2. Back when I first looked at these,
I found that the old and new lv2 stacks couldn't easily coexist on the
same system... and everything on SBo that uses LV2 currently depends on
the old stack.

So we've got 2 options:

1. Figure out a way for lv2core/slv2 to coexist with lilv/serd/sord. This
could be done by using different --libdir and such (the way fltk and
fltk13 do), but AFAIK it will mean that your actual LV2 plugins will have
to be built twice if you want them available for apps using either stack.

2. Ditch the old stack. Every app on SBo that uses LV2 will have to be
updated to use the new stack, assuming it even can use it (most can). I'd
vote for this solution, but it'll require coordinated effort between
many people, some of whom probably won't have the time/energy/desire to
update their already-working builds.

The absolute worst "solution" would be for someone to just blindly submit
builds for serd/sord/lilv. We'd end up with mutually-incompatible sets
of builds, and LV2 plugins that only work in certain apps, and maybe
apps that crash (old-style LV2 stack, trying to load plugins built for
the new).

I should have some time this week to look at this. It might be that option
1 will work better than I expect, or maybe I'll find a 3rd solution that
works well.

What does the list think?