[Slackbuilds-users] Does rrdtool really need all the X libraries?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Thu May 2 08:26:44 UTC 2013

On 5/2/13, Sebastian Arcus <shop at open-t.co.uk> wrote:
> I am trying to install rrdtool from SBo on a headless server with
> 14.0-current and nor Xorg installed. I need it for ntop. So far it has
> forced me to install:
>
> pixman, fontconfig, libxcb, libpthread-stubs, libXau, xproto, libXdmcp,
> libX11
>
> and I am still at it. Does rrdtool (and ntop) really need all these
> packages - specially the X ones?

It uses cairo... Slackware's cairo is built with X11 support, so it needs
the various X-related shared libraries.

You could try building your own cairo package without X. In rrdtool's
doc/rrdbuild.txt is an example:

        ./configure --prefix=$INSTALL_DIR \
           --enable-xlib=no \
           --enable-xlib-render=no \
           --enable-win32=no

...I'd probably grab Pat's cairo.SlackBuild and add those options to
its ./configure command.

The same might apply to pixman and/or fontconfig (haven't looked to see
if those depend on the X shared libs).