[Slackbuilds-users] Why does this Slackbuild fails

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Wed Nov 6 16:58:47 UTC 2013

Niki Kovacs wrote, On 06/11/13 16:53:
> Le 06/11/2013 15:28, Roelof Wobben a écrit :
> > And I have build it on top of dropline gnome so I do not know if for all the dependencies
> > there are slackbuilds.
>
> Roelof,
>
> If I may drop in my two cents. On a difficulty scale from 1 to 10 for
> building Slackware packages, Cinnamon is roughly somewhere between 9.5
> and 10 (if not 27.5 :oD). This is far from being a trivial task.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, I've built complete desktops like Xfce (3.x,
> 4.x), GNOME 2.x and KDE 4.x from source, and I'm wading every day
> through shitloads of SlackBuild scripts. And I simply cringe at the task
> of adapting Cinnamon for Slackware.
>
> Take this as an advice not to spoil too many sunny afternoons. If I
> wanted to use Cinnamon, I'd simply install Linux Mint and be happy with it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

And to stick my oar in, I agree with Niki - one reason I use Slack is so
that I can have a fast machine to do the usual stuff quickly, not for
eye candy gymnastics.

But having said that, maybe some users of Slack would like it, so don't
give up if this is what you want.  But only others interested in using
it would be able to help to debug.

Nick

--
FSF Associate Member 5508