[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-legacy96 now compiles on 14.1

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Nov 11 21:12:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 22:35:44 -0800
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hot off the presses!  Some smart cookie over at Arch was able to
> backport patches from nvidia-173 to get nvidia-96 to compile on newer
> kernels.
>
> NOTE!! I no longer have functional AGP mobos OR nvidia GPUs for this
> driver.  Much appreciated if anyone can test on REAL hardware. The
> patch allows the kernel interface compilation but does not guarantee
> that the driver will work on Xorg server > 1.12
>
> Also, the scuttlebutt I have is that the nvidia-96.xx will most likely
> NOT receive official updates for newer kernels and X server. If you
> meed this driver, I recommend that you DO NOT upgrade from Slackware
> 14.0.
>
> Links to updated tgz archives are here:
>
> https://www.gitorious.org/kingbeowulf-slackbuilds/kingbeowulf-slackbuilds/source/35e41289ae16f4859ab4ef92e195673b99723245:archives/nvidia-legacy96-kernel.tar.gz
>
> https://www.gitorious.org/kingbeowulf-slackbuilds/kingbeowulf-slackbuilds/source/35e41289ae16f4859ab4ef92e195673b99723245:archives/nvidia-legacy96-driver.tar.gz

Apparently gitorious and github are in a competition to see which one
can braindeadify download links the most.  Neither of those are giving
me good files, and if I click on them in a browser, I get suggested to
try a different link, and neither of those give me good files either.

If you can send/attach real tarballs to bypass the braindead, I'll be
happy to put them in git master.  :-)

-RW