[Slackbuilds-users] OUTPUT

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Fri Nov 15 19:03:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 06:47:27PM +0000, Nick Warne wrote:
> Rob McGee wrote, On 15/11/13 18:40:
> >SBo Slackbuilds support a feature which makes this unnecessary:
> >$OUTPUT. Run your build as such:
> >
> >root at darkstar:~# OUTPUT=/root/pkg ./foo.Slackbuild
> >
> >Or, you could set OUTPUT=/root/pkg in one of your bash startup
> >scripts, such as in "/root/.bashrc".
> >
> >Regarding the discussion upthread about clearing /tmp, what I do:
> >tmpfs for /tmp, so mine is cleared each boot, like it or not.
> >(I've gotten out of the habit of using /tmp for things which are
> >not temporary.)
>
> All well and fine, but I _never_ log in nor use root account
> (unless in emergencies and/or slackware updates).  I use sudoers.

Hmmm, I am failing to see the relevance of your reply. Perhaps you
were thinking that .bashrc is only used for login shells? No, it's
for interactive NON-login shells, per bash(1) manual, INVOCATION:

"When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists."

Okay, so there is relevance, but probably not what you thought. :)

SBo recommends the use of login shells, so indeed my reference to
/root/.bashrc was incorrect. (IWFM because I source .bashrc from
my ~/.profile file.) A better place for OUTPUT might be in
"/root/.bash_login".
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org