[Slackbuilds-users] we're back

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Wed Oct 9 00:20:19 UTC 2013

As many of you already know, we had yet another hardware failure at
harrier, the SBo mail server on 2013-10-02 at about 20:04 UTC. It
looked like a SATA controller failure, but instead it seems to have
been simultaneous failure of BOTH drives in a RAID1 mirror.

Go figure. Anyway, between an offsite backup and cautious copying
from the less dead of the two drives, no data was lost. The dead
array had all the essential parts of the filesystem" /, /home, /usr
and /var.

Too many eggs in a broken basket (which had not given any signs of
trouble, strangely enough!)

A problem with getting services restored has been the distance and
real life obligations: Robby and I were not able to sneakernet a
replacement drive to the colo facility. He uploaded what he could
through his slow home uplink, and pulled big stuff from mirror sites.

Bit by bit we're getting back to normal. Some of you might have
gotten bounces when trying to post to this list or one of the others
hosted here. Sorry about that. Other than that I don't think any mail
was lost, because I pointed DNS to our VPS which occupies the IP
address which was "cardinal", harrier's predecessor.

I'd like to applaud and thank Robby for all his efforts. He took a
day off work to retrieve the failed drives and bring them home, and
as noted above he had a lot of work to recover the data. He also
carried a replacement drive with a new install of Slackware64
-current (14.1 beta).

And thanks again to the great community we have here: harrier was
built with your donations!
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org