[Slackbuilds-users] PostgreSQL - multiple installed versions

Audrius Kažukauskas audrius at neutrino.lt
Tue Sep 3 18:10:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 17:04:15 +0200, Adis Nezirovic wrote:
> Guys, I have a question for all PostgreSQL users and SBo admins.
>
> Would it be OK for the next PostgreSQL package (upcoming 9.3) to be version
> specific and parallel-installable with  old PostgreSQL versions.
> (of course, we would continue that practice in the future).
>
> Since PostgreSQL installations are not upgradeable in place, one needs to
> do export/import data cycle or use pg_upgrade utility, and having old and
> new database instance would be very handy for that.
>
> The packages would be named postgresql93 (v9.3.x), postgresql94 (v9.4.x)
> (the current postgresql can be treated as postgresql92), and would use
> version specific data directories.

Sounds like a very nice improvement.  It would also benefit those of us,
who want to run different PostgreSQL versions in parallel.  I say go for
it.

Just one question: in case of new major release, what would happen to
SlackBuild for the old one?  Would it be removed from SBo?  PostgreSQL
community maintains 4 to 5 versions at the same time, but I guess this
would be too much for a single SBo maintainer.  Not that I need this
(I'm already grateful for the current PostgreSQL SlackBuild), just
something to think about.

--
Audrius Kažukauskas
http://neutrino.lt/