[Slackbuilds-users] perl-* slackbuild updates

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:31:40 UTC 2013

> I know this is a bit off-topic, but I've been wanting to ask this for a
> long time, and this list is probably the place where I'll get the best
> answers, from the people who have the perspectives that matter to me the
> most in this regard.
>
> I often have problems when meeting Perl dependencies using SlackBuilds,
> sometimes they bomb, but more often than not, the list of deps needed
> are simply incomplete, prompting me to just use the cpan shell to
> install and maintain those modules.
>
> What are the advantages of using SBo's over that of cpan, for the
> management and installation of Perl modules, and why might I choose one
> method over the other?
>
> Again, I'm asking this from the perspective of those who are Slackers,
> using SBos to manage almost all of their installed software bases in the
> first place.

the advantages of using SBo is that it will match the same Perl
version as Slackware and it will not change that often. Believe me,
sometimes, it's better to stick with the same version unless you
really need them to maintain from CPAN.

I tried to run upgrade on CPAN and it blew up the CPAN as Perl gets
upgraded (in -Current) to 5.18 and some of the modules weren't
compatible since it was compiled in CPAN, and not manageable through
pkgtool.

If you are planning to use -Stable release for a long time, *probably*
it might not be that problematic, but if you need to upgrade your PERL
version, just make sure that all the modules that are upgraded in CPAN
would be compatible with the API version on the PERL version

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
Personal Blog : http://willysr.blogspot.com