[Slackbuilds-users] perl-* slackbuild updates

Andreas Vögele andreas at andreasvoegele.com
Tue Sep 10 22:41:55 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 10:33 PM, Thomas Morper wrote:

> [...] complex modules like Catalyst or Dancer2 that have 50 or more
> dependencies. I can't imagine anyone writing a SlackBuild for each
> and everyone of it.

Some operating systems package half of CPAN. But as maintainers go away
keeping these packages up-to-date and consistent is a nightmare. Once I
wanted to get a single Perl module updated but as several maintainers
had quit I ended up updating dozens of packages.

> [...] cpan2tgz has been around for a quite a while, but I wanted
> something that allowed more control over the result, so I took the
> perl template from SBo, [...], added "pre" and "post" hooks to allow
> modifications, [...] The maintainer still has to check
> search.cpan.org manually, read the ChangeLog, track the list of
> dependencies, and more. [...] Have a look at what I call "autoperl"
> here:
>
> http://beingboiled.info/slackware/14.0/build/autoperl/
>
> This has been working very well for me for more than two years but
> nonetheless is propably not "production ready" for everyone. Feedback
> on how to make this work for more users will be highly appreciated.

I wrote a CPANPLUS plugin that creates Slackware compatible packages but
lets CPANPLUS do the hard work. Hooks that allow customizations are
available through a plugin interface. A SlackBuild script exists:
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/perl/perl-CPANPLUS-Dist-Slackware/

Unfortunately, the Perl 5 porters decided to remove CPANPLUS from the
Perl core but CPANPLUS will continue to be available through CPAN.
SlackBuild scripts for CPANPLUS on Slackware-current are available here:
https://github.com/voegelas/slackbuilds-mystuff

Someday I might also write a Dist::Zilla::Plugin::Slackware module that
will be similar to Dist::Zilla::Plugin::RPM.

Regards,
Andreas