[Slackbuilds-users] Cauterizing heartbleed (CVE-2014-0160)

mancha mancha1 at hush.com
Sat Apr 12 07:06:15 UTC 2014

B Watson <yalhcru at ...> writes:
> On 4/12/14, mancha <mancha1 at ...> wrote:
> > After identifying candidates, we can worry about whether the bundled
> > or statically-linked OpenSSLs are vulnerable or not.
>
> Possibly stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Are clients even
> vulnerable?  Everything I've seen about heartbleed (and I haven't
> really researched in detail either) talks about attacks against
> vulnerable servers... is it possible for a malicious server to exploit
> an unpatched client?

Heartbeats are basically pings for [D]TLS and they can originate at
either the client or server. So, yes, clients are "heartbleedable".

In fact, you can use this python script to set up a listener and point
your favorite OpenSSL-linked clients (e.g. wget, curl, etc.) at it:

https://github.com/Lekensteyn/pacemaker

--mancha