[Slackbuilds-users] Install SlackBuild Package Where I Want To

Thomas Ronayne ronayne.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:45:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

Although I really appreciate SlackBuilds and all the work that goes into
them and the efforts of everyone working on SlackBuilds I have one
problem that I just can't get my head around -- how do I install a
SlackBuild where I want to other than in the root tree?

For example, I need NetCDF for use with the Generic Mapping Tools (GMT).
I have always installed both GMT and NetCDF in /opt (they're both big
and I don't want 'em in the root tree). That is also true of, say,
OpenOffice -- or LibreOffice -- I don't want that stuff in the root, I
want it in /opt.

I've tried editing the SlackBuild (changing "usr" to "opt") and have had
messy failures doing that; is the some easy way to specify the
installation directory? Have I just missed something really, really basic?

Thanks.