[Slackbuilds-users] Tool for managing SBo packages

Aaditya Bagga aaditya_gnulinux at zoho.com
Sun Jan 12 12:35:20 UTC 2014

Hello guys,

When I had to search for a package in the SlackBuilds, I went to
slackbuilds.org and searched for it; however I have a local (git) copy
of slackbuilds which I wanted to search, but didnt like using the file
manager to look into each folder..

So yesterday I started writing a script to search my repository for a
specified package, and then added some more options like viewing the
info file of the package, viewing the readme, the slackbuild, etc..

Then today I added more options like downloading the package, build it,
install/upgrade/remove, and querying installed packages.
(More info about its features/usage in the readme.)

So its become a kind of a package manager now. I named it as slacker for
want of a better name.

You can look at the source here:
https://github.com/aadityabagga/slacker

Tarball available for download also:
http://download.sourceforge.net/mefiles/slacker-0.1.tar.gz

(One bug I had discovered, is that suppose you search all packages
beginning with s,
slacker --search s*
It wouldnt display anything (perhaps due to bash substitution), but
slacker --search "s*"
seems to display them.)

P.S. I do know about and use sbopkg, but I wanted a commandline tool for
(quickly) searching the packages. :)