[Slackbuilds-users] duplicity & tarsnap

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 00:39:54 UTC 2014

On 1/21/14, Thomas Morper <thomas at beingboiled.info> wrote:

> On a side note... discovering neglected Slackbuilds has become sort of a
> pattern for me whenever I look beyond those which I've been using for
> years. Do I just happen to always pick up that one foul apple or is this a
> problem on a larger scale?

SlackBuilds that get abandoned usually get that way because nobody's using
them... often the original maintainer stops using the software (or even
stops using Slackware entirely). If it's something fairly widely used, one
of the users will step up and take over maintenance (is the idea anyway).

It's a problem that isn't likely to get fixed any time soon, is what I
mean to say.

Unmaintained scripts do eventually get removed when a new Slackware is
released, and the script doesn't work on it, and nobody in the community
notices & fixes it. However this takes a long time... and it's arguably
better to have a stale SlackBuild than none at all.