[Slackbuilds-users] Tex Live 2014 - Update / Part 2

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Jul 1 04:41:43 UTC 2014

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:10:34 -0500
Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> Okay, here's the next round of this stuff...
>
> I made some comments in the tarball-sizes.txt file that might need
> feedback:  http://rlworkman.net/TL2014-testing/tarball-sizes.txt
>
> Everything except actual tarballs and such is here:
> http://rlworkman.net/TL2014-testing/
>
> The make-slackware-plists.sh, helpers/*, and texlive.tlpdb are used
> for generating the lists, while the tarball-contents/ directory
> contains text files of exactly what the name implies.
>
> Obviously there's still some tweaking to do.  Feedback is desired.

Given the feedback I've received (some onlist and some offlist), here's
what I'm thinking will be a good compromise for everyone.

In the texlive-texmf-tetex archive (the name might need to change though
as it will be more than just the tetex stuff), we'd have the contents of
the texlive-texmf-tetex archive mentioned above *plus* the context stuff
and the latexextra stuff, for total sizes of roughly:

  299 MB -- texlive-texmf-tetex
  790 MB -- texlive-texmf-tetex-doc

The rest of everything would be what's currently stated as being in the
"fontsextra" and "full" archives, for total sizes of roughly:

  251 MB -- texlive-texmf-remainder
  220 MB -- texlive-texmf-remainder-doc

Again, the name would have to be changed, but you get the idea.

The only drawback would be that there is absolutely no way to ship any
of the docs as part of Slackware.  On that note, perhaps it would be
better to just bundle all of the docs together as a single archive,
meaning that users would (ideally) get a functional TeX Live from
Slackware, with all docs available as a ~1GB package from SBo and any
other texmf (mainly fonts) available as a ~250MB package from SBo.

This still puts about 300MB of texmf in Slackware (assuming it makes it
that far), but we still have the compiled sources for the texlive binaries
*and* we have to host the sources for that -- I don't recall how big the
binaries are but the source archive is ~42MB.

Thoughts?

-RW