[Slackbuilds-users] Tex Live 2014 - Update / Part 2

Ananda Murthy R S rsamurti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:30:44 UTC 2014

Hello,

I also prefer a single texlive package containing everything even though it
is bulky. Any way, the build script for this can be made available in
SlackBuilds. Only those who want Texlive can build.

Anand

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Jim Diamond wrote:
>
>  However, there are a lot of new features which people use. For example, I
>> stopped using PSTricks long ago in favour of TikZ (not to suggest it is
>> uniformly superior), and assuming TikZ is not found in Slackware's tetex,
>> I'd be dead in the water trying to use it.
>>

> Jim,
>
>   That's certainly reasonable. I stick with PSTricks because it's familiar
> and I have Herbert's books. I do upgrade when he makes changes so the
> backend (TeXLive since Tom Esser recommended it) is really immaterial for
> me.
>

>  Judging by info on comp.text.tex, there have been lots of updates and
>> additions to PSTricks in the last few years, so anyone using TE's last
>> version of tetex would be out of luck on that.
>>

>   Makes sense.
>

>  So I'd say it is not so much that tetex has "deficiencies", but it is
>> (now) a small subset of what TeX currently is. And anyone who is making
>> use of "new" features can't live in the tetex world.
>>

>   True. I've not looked closely at what's included with TeXLive, I just
> keep
> upgrading and using it. :-)
>
> Many thanks for the explanations,
>
> Rich

Close Windows ! Open source !!
Free software from proprietary mafia !!!