[Slackbuilds-users] A question about maintaining perl/* slackbuilds.

Zachary Storer zacts.3.14159 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:42:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 01:52:38PM -0500, Erik Hanson wrote:

> It's fine if you'd like to send us a patch to change the download links to
> whatever is working/recommended, but taking over or updating scripts on
> behalf of someone else requires their permission.
>

> --
> Erik Hanson

Ok, the problem is this: If we decide to use the freenode #perl's
recommended www.cpan.org as the cpan link, then we will have to upgrade
many of the perl/ slackbuilds, because, as far as I know,
www.cpan.org doesn't provide some of the older versions for those slackbuilds.

Therefore, our options would be to email every perl/ slackbuild
maintainer asking them to upgrade their slackbuild, use
metacpan.org as the download link for the slackbuilds, or I could
submit a patch that upgrades all of the slackbuilds at once, while also
switching from search.cpan.org as the download link to use www.cpan.org, without
the permission of the individual slackbuild maintainers.
To me, it initially seems that in the future if we were to automate the
upgrading of perl/ slackbuilds it would be nice to not have to ask each
and every maintainer for permission to do this. For example, for my recent
patch to fix perl/perl-IO-Tty I didn't hear back from the maintainer at
all. This could make mass updates slow. Although, perhaps you guys have
a good reason for having one maintainer per perl slackbuild.

Thanks!

Zac

---
Zachary Storer