[Slackbuilds-users] webkitgtk compile time

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:06:42 UTC 2014

On 7/29/14, bch at shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk
<bch at shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> From searching around, it seems that the usual experience of compiling
> webkitgtk is not good, but one forum post seemed to suggest 45 mins or so
> and called that a 'long time'.

Was that on Slackware, or some other distro?

Slackware's make is GNU make 3, which has a bug relating to parallel
builds that the GNU folks refuse to fix in the 3.x branch (their answer
is that everyone should be using 4.x). The fix is a small patch that's
been available since 2010 or so.

Other distros have either already upgraded to make 4.x, or else their
3.x make includes the patch... but Slackware 14.1 doesn't, and since
it's not a security fix, it never will. However, I just had a look at
slackware-current, its make does have the patch, so this won't be a
problem in Slackware 14.2 (or 15.0, whatever it ends up being called).

If you're feeling adventurous, you could get the SlackBuild for make
from the -current source tree and build it on 14.1. Odds are it would
work just fine, and you'd end up being able to get rid of the "-j1" in
the webkitgtk SlackBuild... but if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.