[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES="%README%"

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at slackbuilds.org
Sat Mar 1 17:50:46 UTC 2014

On Saturday 01 March 2014 17:42:46 Matteo Bernardini wrote:
> Well, I always have intended the %README% entry in the REQUIRES
> variable to mean that for the program to work correctly it's
> *mandatory* to read the README.

I never saw much point in the "%README%" entry. so IMHO we might just as well
go ahead and drop it. From my point of view reading the README is required
either way, that's why it's called "Read me" and not "You may read me".

REQUIRES is about required package dependencies, and while "required" is up
for interpretation, "package" really isn't. "%README%" was always more of a
way to say "it's complicated" and that only ever made sense for builds like
ffmpeg with a crapton of optional dependencies that need to be enabled manually
(with emphasis on *optional*).

I wouldn't shed a tear if we'd drop it. My 0.02$.

Grs,
Heinz