[Slackbuilds-users] libs in /usr/local/lib

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Mon Mar 10 09:59:16 UTC 2014

*SOLVED*

On 10/03/14 01:49, Duncan Roe wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 12:36:29PM +0000, Nick Warne wrote:
>> Using slackbuild dsniff (as an example), I find that slackbuild fails on
>> ./configure as it thinks libnet is not installed.
>>
>> Now, not to confuse things, this is on my AMD64 running Slack 12.1 (no
>> multilib) and I often build/install 'lesser used libs' into /usr/local/lib
>> and run/update ldconfig on installation.
>>
>> I can configure dsniff by hand fine, all libs are found - but using the
>> slack script, it doesn't find them...
>>
>> Why is this?  I am at a loss.
>>
>> Nick
>
> Have you checked PKG_CONFIG_PATH in your environment? This is used by the
> pkg-config utility which configure scripts frequently use. See man pkg-config,

pkg-config is fine.

OK, what happens is in the configure file is this snippet:

else
    if test -f ${prefix}/include/libnet.h; then
      CFLAGS="$CFLAGS `${prefix}/bin/libnet-config --defines`"
      LNETINC="-I${prefix}/include"
      LNETLIB="-L${prefix}/lib -lnet"
   elif test -f /usr/include/libnet.h; then
      CFLAGS="$CFLAGS `libnet-config --defines`"
      LNETLIB="-lnet"

so as the slackbuild script passes --prefix=/usr, /usr/local never gets
looked for.

Adding:

   --with-libnet=/usr/local \
   --with-libnids=/usr/local

to slackbuild fixes it up.

I don't know why, after all these years, that this has just hit me?

Anyway, dsniff fails to build anyway having a problem with undefined
references with libnid library - but that is another story.

Nick
--
"A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation."
FSF Associate Member 5508