[Slackbuilds-users] virt-viewer slackbuild

John Yost alleytrotter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 13:17:52 UTC 2014

On 03/10/2014 07:36 PM, Ruben Schuller wrote:
> Hi,

>> In order for virt-viewer to build "--with-spice-gtk" I had to
>> apply the following patch. I have contacted the maintainer but no
>> response. [...] Has anyone else had this problem
>
> If it helps:
>
> I've build virt-manager without any problems a week ago (on 14.1).
> Do you have the current versions of all the other deps (and their
> deps..)? There are quite a few, at least for virt-manager.
>
> Maybe related to this: Using spice didn't work for me, I don't have
> the error message atm, but switching back to VNC in the
> configuration of the virtual machine worked fine. Otherwise it
> wouldn't even start the machine.
>
> Cheers, Ruben _______________________________________________
> Archives -
> http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/ FAQ -
> http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

Thanks for the reply Ruben.
Yes I do have all the 'requires' installed for Virt-viewer. I don't
use virt-manager and my problem was "spice didn't work for me" my vm
would start but I could not use spice graphics until I applied the
patch and rebuilt virt-viewer.
Putting some echo statements after the test for "--with-spice-gtk"
in the slackbuild proved that virt-viewer was building
"--without-spice-gtk" Thus requiring the patch.
Checking the man page for pkg-config
""" The package name specified on the pkg-config command line is
defined to be the name of the metadata file, minus the .pc extension.
"""
I see that the '.pc' extension should not be used in the test for spice.
So at least on my machine 'Slackware64-14.1' the patch is required.
Thanks again
John