[Slackbuilds-users] X11Basic - testers required if you please

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Thu Mar 13 22:25:34 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Bare with me:

If you are old enough and remember the Atari ST there was a great
programming language called 'GFA Basic' (I coded my own word processor
and file manager [amongst other things] in it many years ago).

First of, it was a BASIC type, but it was so powerful you could do
almost anything as fast as today's C type languages.

Anyway, following on from this thread in a crossword forum I frequent:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1394535442.74065&user=dharrison

I wondered about GFA basic - a search reveals:

http://x11-basic.sourceforge.net/

It takes a bit of sussing out how to build on Slack 14.1, and I am
looking to do a build for the community.

But first I need to find out a few things.

I knocked up a quick X11Basic program that finds factors of numbers
(attached factors.bas [text file]) and also the interim converted file
to compile as a native ELF binary that can be compiled with GCC
(attached, factors.c [text file BYTECODE text]).

X11Basic also has a tool that can build this as a static binary, so you
shouldn't need X11Basic at all.

Here is my request.

Can anybody here be willing to test the static binary so I know it does
work?  I can't ask anybody else, as I don't know anybody else that runs
GNU/Linux except on the Internet...

If you do, I can mail it [factors_static.gz 463K ~ gunzipped 1.1M].

Thanks,

Nick
--
"A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation."
FSF Associate Member 5508