[Slackbuilds-users] Texlive-20130530 Build Errors

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 21 12:57:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, David Spencer wrote:

> Yes.  It should take two or three minutes to install on relatively
> modest hardware.

David,

Linux salmo 3.10.17-smp #1 SMP Wed Oct 23 17:04:08 CDT 2013 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux 4G RAM.

   This is 'relatively' modern and I would have epxected 2-3 minutes for
installation.

   Not before have I had a SBo package fail to install.

> If the root fs is approaching fullness, ext4 performance can deteriorate
> quite dramatically -- and if installing on the same host it's just been
> built on, there could well already be a 1.3 Gb package-texlive tree and a
> 0.7 Gb texlive-20130530-source tree under /tmp/SBo that might be on the
> root fs, and the final built package might also be in /tmp, so that's a
> peak demand of > 4 Gb.  If that's not applicable to Rich's problem, it
> needs watching with top, ps, iostat etc. to see what is happening.

   I removed texlive-2011 to allow the -20130530 version to install. Because
the /tmp partition on this host is small, well too small for this
application, I built it in ~/workspace; the /home partition still has 112G
available.

   There's plenty of room in each partition (ext3):

/dev/sda1        85G  1.1G   79G   2% /
/dev/sda2        92M   47M   40M  54% /boot
/dev/sda5       211G   89G  112G  45% /home
/dev/sda6        92G   13G   75G  14% /usr
/dev/sda7        37G  2.9G   32G   9% /opt
/dev/sda8        17G  865M   15G   6% /var
/dev/sda9       1.9G  180K  1.9G   1% /tmp

   I've watch top and installpkg is never the topmost running application; in
fact, there are usually two processes running and both are sleeping (S+)
which I did not think was appropriate.

   If anyone can suggest other tests or information that will help diagnose
and resolve this situation I'll quickly provide the results.

Thanks,

Rich