[Slackbuilds-users] jdk slackbuild

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Wed May 7 13:19:56 UTC 2014

Deanne Pedroni <gdfpedro at yahoo.com>
writes:

> I needed to build jdk and found the slackbuild not current.
>
> The current version of jdk available is 8u5, so I changed VERSION= and
> DVER=.

It's worth mentioning that while you're correct that Java 8 is
available, a short FAQ[1] on it says in part:

           The new release of Java is first made available to developers
           to ensure no major problems are found before we make it
           available on the java.com website for end users to download.

So unless you're specifically testing Java 8, Oracle recommends that you
continue to use Java 7--and if you go to http://java.com and try to
download it, the version it offers you is 7u55.  This is what's in the
SlackBuild.

[1] http://java.com/en/download/faq/java8.xml