[Slackbuilds-users] qemu & vnc

Thomas Morper thomas at beingboiled.info
Tue May 13 21:58:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, King Beowulf wrote:

>> On a side note: what's the reason for making VNC support optional?

> 1. Not everyone wants or needs or uses vnc
> 2. To use vnc you'll need to set up a bunch of stuff for remote access

> I don't use vnc...my qemu VMs are just plain clean build environments  I
> don't need vnc to view the VM  on my host's monitor.  If the consensus
> is that it should be enable by default, let me know.

I'd vote for "leave it enabled" (and don't even make it an option) for the
following reasons:

 - It's the default.

 - It doesn't introduce any additional dependencies or links to
   heavyweight libs.

 - No extra step needed if you need vnc.

 - No extra step needed if you don't need vnc, either. If you don't want
   it, just don't make it your "-display" when you start the VM.

IMHO vnc is quite handy even for local use. I can start a bunch of
machines without having a bunch of SDL windows clutter up my desktop, yet
unlike "-display none" I can still access the virtual console when
necessary simply by starting the vnc client.