[Slackbuilds-users] office/Ted

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon May 19 02:26:02 UTC 2014

Does anyone use office/Ted?

I'm trying to use it on Slack64 14.1, here's what happens:

Starting Ted from the command line, either "Ted" by itself or "Ted
filename.rtf" where filename.rtf already exists, I get the main Ted
logo window for a split second, then it sits there forever (well, I kill
-9'ed it after 15 minutes).

Starting "Ted nosuchfile.rtf" where nosuchfile.rtf doesn't exist,
actually works fine (I can edit and save the file). But only for files
that don't already exist.

The Ted man page says "It can take a minute to start - before the Ted
window appears on the display -  because  Ted polls the system printers",
but surely there's something else going on here.

I contacted the SBo maintainer for Ted, he says he's no longer using
Slackware. I might take this package, but would rather not (I need to
read RTF files maybe once every 3 or 4 years), if someone who uses it
regularly would step up...

But what I really want to know is, does anyone else get the symptoms I
describe above?