[Slackbuilds-users] Clarification of REQUIRES and dependencies

Bojan Popovic bocke at mycity.rs
Sat Nov 29 10:32:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanx for the heads up. It's nice to read about the original
intentions and it makes sense. But you probably also predicted people
will use that in way thay find the most practical. :)

Although, I agree: dependency resolution is hard to automate,
especially in small teams. And even in big teams like Debian it turns
out to be cludgy and bloats the system. And then you enter into the
circle of constant and continous automation and abstraction of
abstraction of abstraction. And automation of the abstraction that
requires additional abstraction to make sense, and so on. That's why I
like Slack. It's already simple. There is no need for the additional
kludge.

That being said, REQUIRES does provides a device for implementing at
least some level of dependency resolution. But in no way it is possible
to base a complete fool-proof system around it. I see it as more of a
build helper than actually auto-dependency utility.

That's why I think sbopkg's half-manual approach works great. And the
author doesn't even encourage the usage of sbopkg for that. Although
you can do it and it works great. Of course, with a manual
intervention here and there.

Anyway, you guys are doing the great job and I hope you won't give in
to the popular demand. We don't need auto-dependency
hell/kludge/bloat in Slackware. :)

Although having a device for at least some half-automation is great
thing. Especially as any dependency conflicts or recursion can be
solved manualy. :)

Thanx for the great job and cheers,

Bojan.