[Slackbuilds-users] Gajim Slackbuild

Ruben Schuller ruben at orgizm.net
Thu Oct 30 12:49:36 UTC 2014

> > But there's one more problem: gajim.SlackBuild misses a licence..
> > So, law-technically i can't simply insert the standard licence, and
> > can't even change something in there (at least in germany). I can
> > mail the original author about that, but any ideas how to handle
> > that if he doesn't answer? Maybe i should just start fresh from a
> > template.
>
> I don't think it will be a problem since it doesn't have any license
> attached since the beginning.
> What's problematic is if the author has put a strict license and
> abandoned the script without any chance for other people to modify the
> scripts.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, so i can be wrong.
>
> Robby? Eric? any thoughts?

In the template it says specifically:

# A license is required, and we strongly suggest you use the above
# BSD/MIT style license. We DO NOT accept "Public Domain" scripts.
# Public domain is not valid in some countries, and no license is
# worse than a "bad" license in those countries.

That's why I've asked about that. I don't think that the original
author would have problems with me maintaining the script.

I think I'll just resubmit it with BSD license with the original author
noted.

Ruben