[Slackbuilds-users] Slackware package linter

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Sep 26 06:34:42 UTC 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014 01:28:57 David Spencer wrote:
> One observation -- some checks are easier, and much quicker, using awk
> to read a verbose tar listing of the package instead of extracting a
> full exploded package tree in the filestore. Very few checks will need
> to examine file contents (just slack-desc really). Are there reasons
> I've missed for working primarily on the package tree instead of a
> listing?

Not really, it didn't really cross my mind. The point is that some checks will
need to work with actual files in the repo, so we do need the exploded package
tree anyway. However, if you think a package listing would be handy for some
checks as well, I have no objections to making that available to the check()
function.

> Alternatively, should we be working towards adding a --lint control
> argument to makepkg (God [citation needed] willing), since the package
> tree is available for free at that time? It would certainly improve
> the SBo maintainers' QA if 'makepkg --lint' was in the template :-)

I'd rather stick to the "do one thing and do it well" mantra. Makepkg already
does some small checks on its own, but IMHO doing anything as comprehensive as
lintpkg is outside of its scope. As for SBo maintainers' QA, let's just take
it one step at a time :)

Grs,
Heinz