[Slackbuilds-users] building sage dies after hours of work

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Mon Apr 13 20:00:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 22:03 (+0700), Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:

>> I'm trying to use sboinstall to install sage.

>> First I tried env INSTALLSCRIPTS=yes PDFDOC=yes
>> OPTIONALSPKG="dot2tex" sboinstall sage which crunched for some
>> hours and then crashed and burned because of some complaint about
>> brazil when creating the PDFs.  Rather than debugging that, I
>> decided to forego the PDFs and did env INSTALLSCRIPTS=yes
>> OPTIONALSPKG="dot2tex" sboinstall sage

> have you tried building it manually?
Eventually, yes.  And except for problems with Brazillian Portuguese,
which I hacked around by deleting the pt documentation (at unknown
future cost), I eventually got it to work.

Having said that, building it by hand takes the fun out of having a
slackbuild.  :-(

> i tested building sage manually and yes, it took a long time to build
> since i don't enable NUMJOBS on my VM
> i usually left it build while i sleep or work and comeback later.

> and FYI, i never tested on multilib environment
I didn't see any of the usual problems (wrong choice of lib) in any of
the issues I ran into.

Incidentally (or not) the README says
        Building sage requires >5GB of disk space, so you may need to
        redefine $TMP and/or $OUTPUT
I had 5.8GB free.  That was not even close to enough.  By the time it
is compiled, before you copy into $PKG, I had used up most of that
space.  Not long into
        cp -av * $PKG/$SAGEROOT
I ran out of space and had to stop that copy, even before I got to the
makepkg stage.

I think 8GB might have done it for me.  But maybe not even then,
without changing $OUTPUT.

Cheers.
                                Jim