[Slackbuilds-users] libgda compile is "brittle" fix

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 07:30:56 UTC 2015

On 08/01/2015 03:25 PM, John Vogel wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 15:03:01 -0700
> King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2015, John Vogel <jvogel4 at stny.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I wonder if this is a pkg-config issue. So maybe builds could add
>>> something like:
>>>

>> Uncertain. compiling on pure Slack64 VM worked fine.
>>
>> -ed
>>

> Yep, makes sense. If you are building from pure 64bit or pure
> 32bit system, then pkg-config already knows where to look
> (in most cases and if you aren't like me and have stuff in
> /opt and various non-standard places).
> On a multilib/multiarch system, there are different pkg-config
> directories for each arch's .pc files:
>
> /usr/lib64/pkgconfig and /usr/lib/pkgconfig.
>
> Manipulating pkg-config can save a lot of grief when library and
> header paths can be different based on compile time arch.
> I often have to mess with pkg-config when I'm cross compiling,
> so I thought I'd chime in. I'm probably just muddying the
> waters, and if so, my apologies in advance.
>
> John

I'm a bit clueless on this autotools and pkgconfig stuff.  What would
the benefit be to do

PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR="/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX}/pkgconfig"

versus

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX}"

To get qemu to compile with a newer libusb (the one in 14.1 is too old),
I needed a static lib and a pkgconfig.  But in libgda LDFLAGS appears
sufficient.  For this particular libdga case (and some others), I
suspect a "bug" or "laziness" on the part of upstream in not making sure
of [/usr/lib | /usr/lib64]. Unless they are not sticking to FHS
standards (Debian)?

From what I understand of the multilib set-up. PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set to
assume pure x64_64:

# set | grep PKG_CONFIG_PATH
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig

To cross-compile x86, one needs to run /etc/profile.d/32dev.sh to reset
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to

PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig"

before compiling 32-bit software.

-Ed