[Slackbuilds-users] Slim

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at acslink.net.au
Wed Feb 11 20:50:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:11:31AM +0100, Philip van der Hoeven wrote:

> On 11-02-2015 07:19, Alan Ianson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 07:45:11 +1100
> > Duncan wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 07:19:26PM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote: On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:40:56 -0800 Ryan wrote: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-misc/slim/files/slim-1.3.6-freetype.patch?view=markup [1] Will do, thanks!
>  If this works, let David Spencer <baildon.research at googlemail.com> know
> to incorporate it. He is taking over slim. Thanks for the help everyone!
> I grabbed this patch and added it to the slim.SlackBuild and now it
> builds and packages fine. I am still getting this on my console though..
> Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11 session manager...
> Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11 session manager...
> Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11 session manager...
> Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11 session manager...
> Starting up X11 session manager... Starting up X11 session manager...
> INIT: Id "x1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minites This repeats
> every 5 minutes. _______________________________________________ That's
> normal init behaviour if a process that it starts crashes immediately.
> Suggest you start it manually and debug,
>
> Slim is up and running normally but the init system doesn't seem to
> know that. I'll keep looking..
>
> What is your slim start command ? Perhaps you forgot 'exec' (without the
> qoutes) in front of it ?
>
> Philip
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-misc/slim/files/slim-1.3.6-freetype.patch?view=markup

OTOH, you would get this scenario if you had an ampersand on the end of the init
line (and had respawn). The actual command that init starts terminates, so init
attempts the respawn. Presumably, the second (backgrounded server) instance
fails to start in this case.

Leading on from that, might something other than init have started the server?
Then init would not be able to start it. To check this: kill the server and see
if init now settles down having restarted it.

Cheers ... Duncan.