[Slackbuilds-users] UID/GID for another Dovecot case

Slacker slacker at slaphappygeeks.com
Sun Feb 15 23:28:34 UTC 2015

On 02/14/2015 08:49 PM, Thomas Szteliga wrote:
> On 02/15/2015 01:42 AM, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>> please use 303 for vmail
>
> I'm not sure if this (303) is a good idea?
> Everywhere I look I see uid 5000.
>
> I'm running Dovecot + Postfix on multiple machines,
> and I'm always using vmail/5000.
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/VirtualUserFlatFilesPostfix
> https://workaround.org/book/export/html/60
> https://workaround.org/ispmail/squeeze/setting-up-dovecot
> http://www.openchange.org/cookbook/backends/sogo/dovecot.html
> https://www.linode.com/docs/email/postfix/email-with-postfix-dovecot-and-mysql-on-centos-5
>
> And as Slacker stated, this is not required for building
> packages, so I don't think this should be defined
> in http://slackbuilds.org/uid_gid.txt
>
> The vmail user/group is not required for packaging
> and fully optional during dovecot usage. Slackbuilds do
> not create users/groups so the vmail group should not be
> defined there.
>
> For example, on some machines I'm using separate vmail
> groups for separate customers, starting with vmail/5000,
> vmail2/5001, vmail3/5002...

I did see a number of references to uid 5000 for vmail, but never had
the sense that it was pseudo-standard.

In fact, it was the common use of "vmail" as the user/group name (I
think because dovecot docs use it) but no compelling reason for any
uid/gid that led to my question here.

Thanks for the links too - I had seen some but not others. In the end my
own approach resulted mostly from re-reading the dovecot and postfix
docs after getting a general direction from other sources.

Robert