[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuild helper script

Karel Venken k.venken at online.be
Sat Feb 21 18:26:40 UTC 2015

Enguerrand de Rochefort wrote:
> Hi Karel
>
> I guess that this is a very typical path for somebody new to
> slackware. If you decide to use Slackware, chances are you actually
> want to do things yourself. Part of me expected that I'd get the type
> of answers I got, it was no big surprise to learn that there are other
> solutions in place.
>
> At the same time it felt strange to benefit from the great things this
> community is producing and not letting people know that there is
> something I created and that I'd be willing to share.
I am happy you like it, it is a great community and I have always had a
lot of help myself!
> I'd definitely be interested to take a look at everything that's
> available - including your script - and possibly do some
> cherry-picking to incorporate stuff into my own solution.
It is in my notes (consider this a temporary link)

http://users.online.be/~cd003081/slackware/packman/getpkgs

Chances are slim it is what you want - I wrote it for myself- , but
don't hesitate to comment and use it any way you see fit.

regards,

K.
> Cheers
> Enguerrand
>

> On 21.02.2015 14:26, Karel Venken wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You somewhat mentioned it,...
>>
>> A few years ago, when I started with Slackware, I followed the same
>> path. I have written my own script, which I am still using. Same
>> idea, make it with the minimum amount of requirements, as a simple
>> bash script. I especially wanted this script to do all the work for
>> me. Like this,...
>>
>> # getpkgs -gr vlc
>>
>> wait somewhat, have a coffee and that's it... You have everything
>> (vlc in the example) running - dependencies added as well. As
>> expected, my script often fails (read the slackbuilds.org FAQ
>> carefully ;-) for why) but I never felt the need to fix these cases,
>> so it has its problems.
>>
>> However if you - or anyone else - wants to give it a look, use it,
>> copy it, let me know... (it's around 24k size)
>>
>> K.
>>

>> Enguerrand de Rochefort wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm using Slackbuilds for a month or so by now, and I am pretty
>>> impressed by how well they work. So I started to write a bash script
>>> to simplify / automate the build & install process a bit.
>>>
>>> By now it has evolved into something which allows me to query,
>>> install and upgrade slackbuilds, do basic direct-dependency checking
>>> and md5sum checking and even automated inclusion of self written
>>> patches. The usage syntax is similar to slackpkg.
>>> It's certainly far from being perfect and should be considered as a
>>> work in progress, but it works reasonably well at least on my system
>>> already.
>>>
>>> The only dependencies are bash, wget, curl and obviously the build
>>> tools required for the Slackbuilds themselves.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if this is something that would be of interest for
>>> the community or if everybody has their own solutions in place
>>> anyways. If there is interest please let me know and please also
>>> advise what would be the preferred way of sharing it, as it was not
>>> obvious to me from the Slackbuilds.org site FAQ how to contribute
>>> scripts that are not actual slackbuild scripts...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Enguerrand