[Slackbuilds-users] Running Skype on -14.1?

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 23 01:10:40 UTC 2015

On 02/23/2015 10:30 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    My friend needs to use Skype for a course so I installed 4.3.0.37
> from SBo
> (along with the multilib libraries, of course). It won't run. Eric's blog
> from last June notes that M$ dropped ALSA support from Skype in favor of
> their PulseAudio.
>
>    Assuming that I install pulseaudio-5.0 from SBo (plus the two
> dependencies), could we expect Skype to work?
>
>    Has anyone experience with Skype on 14.1 with Xfce, or advice to share
> with us?

The 4.3 version has an audio configuration button which tries to launch
pavucontrol so you really need that package too. Unfortunately that
entails a fairly deep dependency tree - good to use sbopkg or similar to
build all that. That said, the combination works very well here with Xfce.

Multilib makes it more complicated, not less, so if you only installed
it for Skype, I'd ditch it. If you need to keep multilib, I made
exhaustive (exhausting?) notes about building skype and dependencies on
multilib at:
      http://darlo.selfip.org/multilibskype/

Otherwise there's at least one thread at LQ about running Skype -
including without pulseaudio at all e.g.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/skype-4-3-a-4175508618/

chris