[Slackbuilds-users] package "QtOctave": website unavailable, no updates since 2011, GNU Octave having experimental GUI, proposed removal

Marco Maggi marco.maggi-ipsu at poste.it
Thu Jan 1 11:52:34 UTC 2015

Ciao,

  the following  URLs for QtOctave  do not  exist anymore or  have empty
contents (no files distributed):

   <http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtoctave.berlios/?source=navbar>
                     <http://qtoctave.berlios.de/>
                    <http://qtoctave.wordpress.com/>

on the SlackBuilds site the distribution tarball:

  <http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/877/qtoctave-0.8.1.tar.gz>

is not the latest available.

  It is not immediate to find informations on this project, but it looks
dead[1][2], even though the distribution at:

           <https://forja.rediris.es/projects/csl-qtoctave/>
               <http://forja.rediris.es/frs/?group_id=60>

is still available,  with the latest tarball uploaded in  2011.  It is a
pity because it looked nice[3], but that's life.

  By installing the Octave package, I  can run the built in experimental
GUI with:

   $ octave --force-gui

and it looks nice.

  As a  humble user, to avoid  confusion and to provide  testing help in
the development  of the built in  GUI, I propose the  removal of support
for the QtProject.

TIA

[1] <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1991274>
[2] <https://www.openhub.net/p/qtoctave/commits/summary>