[Slackbuilds-users] libncurses / libtinfo

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Jan 5 21:59:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 23:32:01 +0200
Mikko Varri <vmj at linuxbox.fi> wrote:

> I wonder if there's already a solution for this:
>
> I'm making an update for ghc slackbuild, and the ghc bindist is built
> against libtinfo.  AFAIK, that's just libncurses split in two, right?
>
> If I add a softlink libtinfo to libncurses, ghc seems to work,
> i.e. libncurses already has all the symbols of libtinfo.  But should I
> pollute the build environment like that?  Also, the package
> installation site would need the same softlink.
>
> The other option seems to be to use patchelf to replace the linking
> information.  But patchelf has not, yet, released a version that
> supports that, so ghc slackbuild should depend on git version of
> patchelf.
>
> Before I spend more time on it, what's your take?

Ideally, volkerdi would add a symlink into Slackware proper for that,
since this isn't the first time something like this has occurred.
However, the second best solution IMHO, and the one that will be needed
for 14.1, is to create a separate "package" at SlackBuilds.org that
is basically just a symlink and a README into the docs directory that
explains why it's there.  Feel free to submit a "libtinfo" package. :-)

-RW