[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: "driver" category for kernel modules/drivers

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:09:46 UTC 2015

On 07/29/2015 02:02 PM, David Spencer wrote:
>> What I am tying to get at is this: How does a user find the software he
>> needs when he can't think of the name or a tag?
>
> Laugh at me if you like, but yes, I can empathise with that.
>
> However, it really can't be solved by the SBo categories or website --
> for one thing, the right software for the user might not even have a
> SlackBuild until someone writes it.

my cli-fu is a bit rusty, but
$ find . -type f -name "*.SlackBuild" | wc -l
5392

Its not about finding the "right" software, just finding the good enough
software right now. I also prefer that a user find out that SBo does not
have a particular software quickly than waste time searching.

> Maybe the SBo website could do a
> free text search on all the slack-descs, but it feels more like a job
> for Google. Years ago we would have used Freshmeat. Maybe Freshmeat
> died because Google does a better job, or maybe AppStream will become
> the universal solution:

----

Sigh.  Sure I can google "catalog site:slackbuilds.org" and see what
pops up...assuming that the s/w I am looking for has "catalog" as a tag
keyword an not "catalogue".

Ever been to a bookstore?  Sure, there are cases when you know the
Author or Book Title and can search their online catalog to find the
exact location.  But how about if you are on your lunch break and feel
like some Science Fiction (subject category)?

Powell's City of Books --> Gold Room Level 1 --> Science Fiction Stack
--> <eyeball scan> --> ooo, this one looks nifty.  Done.

Similiarly:

Dang, kernel doesn't have module for hardware X, and the manufacturer
instructions are confusing, lets try

SB0 --> Repository --> mmm, no hardware, no drivers...lessee...maybe
graphics...no, try System --> dang that's a lot of files --> scroll,
scroll...

My RFC is about making SBo easier to browse, even if you are just on a
journey of discovery.  No search API, no third party apps, no added wiz
bang.  I'm talking simple, reliable Web 1.0.

But we digress so lets rephrase: What categories should SBo have on page

SBo --> Repository

and how should the contents be selected?

-Ed