[Slackbuilds-users] VLC 2.2.1 configure warnings

Lemin slackware at lemintown.eu
Wed May 6 07:58:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-06 08:19, Christoph Willing wrote:

> On 05/05/2015 05:53 PM, Lemin wrote:

>>> Yes, I was pretty sure I'd built and tested vlc-2.2.1 on 14.1 just
>>> recently but couldn't check right now as my dev machine is deeply into
>>> rebuilding lots of packages in -current, so thanks for confirming Willy.
>>>
>>> However I was able to build 2.2.1 on -current with the additional
>>> options that Lemin has suggested (although what used to be gstreamer1
>>> is now just plain gstreamer in stock -current) and it all went fine.
>>> I'll check it again on 14.1 soon and, all being well, I'll submit an
>>> updated SlackBuild sometime this week.
>>>
>>> chris
>>>
>> It works fine for playing most files, but I encountered an issue when
>> trying to play a DVD, perhaps for libdvdread support was not built:
>>
>> Your input can't be opened:VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///...'
>>
>> The prior vlc could read it with libdvdread built. For now I encode
>> using HandBrake then play with vlc.
>>
>> Without TagLib, vlc is not reading the tag informations of mp3 files I
>> also witnessed.
>> I could not say how vlc uses cairo, and if the lack of it brings any
>> issue.
>>
>> I have been using 2.2.1 with the addiotional options (gstreamer1 from
>> SBo), and did not notice any issue.
>>

> I've confirmed these problems with vlc-2.2.1 on 14.1 and since its most
> improbable that lidvdread and taglib versions will be updated in
> official 14.1, I think we should revert to the latest version of vlc
> that is able to use those versions. That is vlc-2.1.6 which I've tested
> to confirm operation with dvd:///... and cdda:///... MRL's.
>
> I'm just about to submit the SlackBuild for it, with libssh2,
> gstreamer1, gst1-plugins-base and x265 packages added to REQUIRES.
>
> Thanks for reporting the problem and suggesting the extra options Lemin.
>
> chris

It seems vlc-2.1.6 does not provide x265 and gstreamer1 support yet,
quoting from the vlc-git NEWS file:

Changes between 2.1.6 and 2.2.0:
--------------------------------
[...]
Access:
* Added TLS support for ftp access and sout access
New schemes for implicit (ftps) and explicit (ftpes) modes
[...]
Encoder:
[...]
* Support for HEVC/H.265 encoding using x265

Confirmed with local compile of 2.1.6, however libssh2 is indeed in
vlc-2.1.6, my apologies for reporting that late in the conversation... I
agree with your decision of reverting to a version fully compatible with
14.1.

Thanks for your work
Lemin